Over 1 million EU/ EEA or Swiss Citizens residents in the UK have applied for ‘Settled Status’ for free to continue living in the UK, and to assist with identification, employment and benefit matters.
Once you have applied and your application has been confirmed successful, you will receive either a settled, or pre-settled status. Please note, you will not be asked to choose which you’re applying for. Which status you get depends on how long you’ve been living in the UK once you apply. Your individual rights will be different depending on which status you get.
The term EEA includes the EU countries as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
Who should apply?
Except in a few cases, you will need to apply if you;
- are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
- Not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, but a family member is
- you were born in the UK but you are NOT a British Citizen
- you have a UK ‘permanent residence document’
- are a family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who does not need to apply (including those from Ireland)
- you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen with a British citizen family member
The Government website should be able to answer any further questions you may have.