redundancy information - website graphic
Posted on: July 14th 2020   •    Posted in: Community, Tenants

Redundancy – where can you get help?

Redundancy is challenging. But there is support and information available to help you find a new job. As well as understand what benefits you can claim. And provide you with useful sources of information.

Where can you get help to find another job?

  • The Jobhelp website provides a wide range of jobsearch help and advice. Including information about working in critical sectors and the latest vacancies.
  • If you are disabled, there may be extra help available, for example, Access to Work. This service helps people with disabilities at work.
  • You can also find out more about the help available by emailing Please include your postcode in the email.
  • Looking for a job after redundancy can be challenging. But keep at it, you are doing a great job!

Find a job service

Use the free ‘Find a job’ service (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Create and manage your own online account as well as tailoring your job search preferences to suit the jobs you are looking for. You can filter your “find a Job” search to focus on employers who have registered to the Disability Confident scheme.  You can also create a profile, upload your CV and receive email alerts to new and existing jobs held by the service. Remember, your CV is important as it is often your first opportunity to make a good impression on an employer.

Other Places to look for jobs

  • Company websites. Many employers do not advertise their vacancies but have a vacancies section on their website where you may be able to apply online
  • Newspapers and trade journals. Find out what day your local newspaper advertises jobs
  • Word of mouth. Speak to your family and friends to ask if they know of any vacancies
  • Social media. Look on social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn. And like or follow employers you may like to work for

How can you improve your skills?

  • For information to help you plan your career, build a CV and find a job you can use the skills and training website
  • You may consider voluntary work to help you get new skills. Find out what is on offer here.
  • If you are considering a change in career or want to understand your finances, the mid-life MOT is available. It is an online signposting package to help you plan for important changes. It can act as a useful stocktake to encourage better planning around the areas of work, finances and health. The work and skills section of the mid-life MOT can signpost you to the support you need to return into employment

What benefits can you get and how can you claim?

  • Havebury have an incredible team of people who are more then happy to discuss your needs with you. If you are losing your job or being made redundant it is usually far better to claim Universal Credit the day after you receive your final pay packet. Speak to our benefits advice team before you submit your Universal Credit claim 0300 3300 900 options 2,2,3
  • Go online to to find full details about the benefits available. If you have worked and paid enough National Insurance contributions, you may be eligible for a contribution-based benefit
  • Go online to find out more about New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • New Style Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Universal Credit is a payment to help with living costs. If you need to make a claim, you need to apply online. If you need help making a claim online contact the Universal Credit helpline. Call 0800 328 5644 or textphone 0800 328 1344.
  • Get more information about employment and benefits support during the coronavirus pandemic.

You can read the full information about redundancy available from the DWP here. Which contains information about your redundancy, where you can get help and information about your pension.

As always Havebury are here to help you. If you do want to speak with someone please do give us a call 0300 3300 900 options 2,2,3.

Share with others