Furlough information- Graphic for web blog
Posted on: October 5th 2020   •    Posted in: Tenants

Life after furlough – a message from Havebury

The furlough scheme is due to end soon. You might start to worry about how you will cope if you lose your job or if your hours reduce. 

If you feel this might be you, we have put together some advice and guidance to help you.
Havebury’s Income and Welfare & Benefit teams are here to help if you have or think you might have difficulty in paying your rent.  Please contact our income team on 0300 3300 900 option 2, 2 then 2 or for advice option 2, 2 then 3.


Has your employer confirmed they can’t continue your employment after furlough? This means they may need to make you redundant. There are certain rules and laws surrounding this. so please make sure you know your rights and what you can expect from your employer.

The following websites are useful for basic information about redundancy; .

Gov.uk website, moneyadviceservice.org.uk, citizensadvice.org

Wanting more specialist advice? Contact Citizens Advice who will be able to provide guidance. You can call the national phone line on 03444 111 444. Or use their website to locate your closest Citizens Advice.

What if I don’t get another job right away?

If you are made redundant then you may be entitled to redundancy pay. This payment is not treated as income in the benefits system. You are able to claim benefits to help support you through this difficult time.

Is your partner still working full time? Thinking that you won’t qualify for Universal Credit? You can make a claim for New Style JSA/ESA.

To do this visit https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance

These are benefits you can claim without reviewing household income. Instead it is measured on the amount of class 1 national insurance contributions that you have paid over last 2 – 3 years.

You can also make a claim for Universal Credit at the same time, or on its own. Especially if you need extra help with;

  • Paying your rent
  • Payments to support your children
  • Various other elements relating to disabilities and caring responsibilities.

You can claim here www.gov.uk/how-to-claim-universal-credit

Please be aware that any income received that is classed as ‘earnings’ will be taken into account when you make your claim for Universal Credit. Sometimes it is a good idea to wait to claim until you have received your final pay.

It is also important to note that claiming Universal Credit will stop you receiving other benefits. We recommend you have a chat with our Welfare and Benefits team before making a claim. This is to ensure you have the best advice going forward, you can contact them on 0300 3300 900 option 2,2 then 3.

Budgeting Support

If you are worrying about losing your job and how you will afford your bills it is important to seek some budgeting advice. Citizen’s advice can to give you advice on how you can adjust your spending. Looking at what your commitments are with contracts such as phones, cars and utility bills.

There are many providers of advice but be careful to chose one that is free and impartial;

Help Finding Work

It might be scary thinking about looking for work again especially if you’ve been employed for a long time. But please know there is support out there.

If you have a claim with the DWP then the jobcentre can provide you with support and advice. Or you can visit the following websites:

Remember, if you are worried please don’t suffer in silence. Our friendly team want to help you; they can be contacted on 0300 3300 900 option 2, 2 then 3.

Share with others