Get in touch 0300 3300 900

Posted on: October 22nd 2020   •    Posted in: General News

Electrical safety in your home

As your landlord, we have a duty of care to keep you safe wherever possible. This includes giving you information on how you can keep yourself safe in your home.

Bruno Fonseca

Here Bruno, our Health Safety Facilities Manager talks about electrical safety in your home.

“You can prevent many electrical fires by following some simple electricity safety tips. Below are some household electricity safety precautions every homeowner and tenant should know and follow. Always remember to ask a professional if you’re uncertain about the safety of an electrical outlet or appliance.”

 

Cords & Plugs

  • Check all cords, plugs, surge protectors and extension cords for frayed casing, exposed wire, or broken components. If you find any, replace them immediately.
  • Never run extension cords under carpets or over door thresholds.
  • Don’t use an extension cord as a permanent fixture.
  • Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for plugging a device into the outlet.
  • Do not overload one outlet with several high-wattage or heat-producing devices. For example a space heater or coffee maker.
  • Plugs should fit snugly into outlets. If yours do not, contact us or a licensed electrician.
  • Only use water-resistant extension cords in damp areas (like the basement).

 Lighting

  • Only use lightbulbs at or below the maximum wattage listed on your lamp or light. (There will be a sticker on the appliance indicating max wattage.)
  • Always place lamps on a flat, level surface and at least a foot from anything flammable (e.g. curtains).

Appliances

  • Place heat-producing appliances (toaster, heater, coffee maker, etc.) away from flammable or combustible goods (postholders, paper napkins, etc.)
  • Did you know that toast crumbs make the perfect combustible material? To minimise the risk of a fire starting, clean your toaster regularly.
  • Unplug, when not in use, any small household items that are designed to heat up, like toasters, hairdryers, curling tongs.
  • Keep your kitchen exhaust fan clean and free of grease, lint and other obstructions.
  • Never use a portable heater in the bathroom. The only safe options are a ceiling unit or strip heater placed up high.
  • If you use portable or space heaters elsewhere in your home, be sure they receive a seal of approval. These usually come from a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).

Warning Signs

  • If you feel a tingling sensation when you touch a plug or light switch.
  • Your circuit breaker flips frequently or fuses blow regularly.
  • An appliance gives off a faint rubbery or burning smell.
  • Your outlet plates are warm to the touch or discoloured.
  • An electrical appliance has been waterlogged or submersed in any liquid (throw away immediately).
  • An outlet sparks.
  • Your lights dim or flicker.

If you experience any of these warning signs above, contact us or a registered electrician immediately.


Share with others