Help with your rent - blog image
Posted on: February 14th 2022   •    Posted in: General News

Help with your rent payments

Did you know you may be eligible for help towards your rent and/or service charges?

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit that is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions. It replaces the following benefits (commonly referred to as legacy benefits) for working-age applicants:

Legacy Benefits are:

  • Housing benefit
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

You can find out more here.

Are you entitled to Universal Credit, but not claiming yet?

If you’re working age, you are now unable to make a new claim for housing benefit, so you would need to make a claim for Universal Credit for help with your rent. There are certain circumstances where this is not the case, and you can find more about that here.

Did you know?

  • There are additional amounts for those with disability benefits in their family or if you are caring for someone with disabilities
  • You can claim 85% of registered childcare fees through Universal Credit
  • Universal Credit could support you if you are on a temporary or zero-hours contract
  • Your claim is assessed each month on your wages declared to the HMRC by your employer, and once you have a claim, it’s easy to know what payments you will get. You may not qualify for one month if you work a lot of overtime, but the claim will re-calculate itself the following month if your wages dip, have a period of sick pay etc
  • If you’re self-employed, you’ll need to declare your income and expenditure every month, but you may also be able to claim Universal Credit.

You can visit Benefits calculators – GOV.UK ( to use a benefit calculator to see if you will be better off claiming Universal Credit.
To find out more about Universal Credit visit the government website.

Are you at state pension age?

If you’re eligible for state pension, it’s worth checking to see if you are entitled to housing benefit.

Did you know?

  • Disability benefits are not counted as income
  • Pensioners must not have £16,000 savings across any type of account or £16,000 between couples

There are different rules in place for pensioner couples where one is not a pensioner yet. If this is the case for you, or you would like a calculation, either contact your local council’s housing benefit team or contact our Welfare and Benefits team on 0300 3300 900 options 2,1,3. Please have your state and work pensions, annuities and disability benefits to hand to help with any calculation.

If you have any other queries about your entitlement to Universal Credit, our Welfare and Benefits team may be able to help in on 0300 3300 900 options 2,1,3.

Share with others