Over 1 million EU, EEA and Swiss citizens in the UK have applied for Settled Status for free to continue living in the UK. This also helps them with identification, employment and benefit matters.
Once you have successfully applied, you will receive either a settled or pre-settled status. The status you receive will depend on how long you’ve been living in the UK at the time of your application. Your individual rights will be different depending on which status you are given. The deadline to apply is 30 June 2021.
The term EEA includes EU countries as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
Who should apply?
Except in a few cases, you will need to apply if you;
- are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
- are not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, but a family member is
- were born in the UK but you are NOT a British citizen
- have a UK ‘permanent residence document’
- are a family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who does not need to apply (including those from Ireland)
- you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen with a British citizen family member
For further information, visit the Government website.