Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs. You may be eligible to claim if you’re on a low income or are currently out of work.

Universal Credit is replacing the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit

Don’t worry if you’re currently receiving any of these benefits. You do not need to do anything unless:

  • You have a change of circumstance
  • The Department for Work and Pensions contacts you about moving to Universal Credit
  • Am I eligible?

    You may be able to get Universal Credit if:

    • You are on a low income or are out of work
    • You’re 18 or over*
    • You’re under state pension age (or your partner is)
    • You and your partner have savings of £16,000 or less
    • You live in the UK

    *there are some exceptions if you’re 16 or 17

  • How can I claim?

    You will need to complete an online form. You must have access to a:

    • Valid email address
    • Telephone number, ideally mobile
    • Bank, building society or credit union account

    If you need help to complete this form, you can call the Universal Credit helpline on 0345 600 0723. This is open from Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. The text phone number is 0345 600 0743. Alternatively, you can contact our Welfare and Benefits team on 0300 3300 900, selecting options 2, 2 and 3.

Share with others