Equality is about ensuring that every individual has an equal opportunity.
The opportunity to make the most of their lives and talents.
It is also the belief that no one should have poorer life chances because of circumstances out of their control.
Diversity is psychological, physical, and social differences that occur among any and all individuals.
These difference include but are not limited to;
- Socioeconomic status
- Marital status
- Sexual orientation
- Mental or physical ability
- Learning styles
A diverse group, community, or organisation is one in which a variety of social and cultural characteristics exist.
Why is it important?
It is important to Havebury because…
Havebury follow all the legal and regulatory requirements placed on us by;
- Equality Act 2010
- Human Rights Act 1998,
- Regulatory Framework for Social Housing in England
- Care Quality Commission regulations.
We aim to improve equality and inclusion outcomes for our residents, customers and partners.
To promote equality, community cohesion and social, digital and financial inclusion.
We aspire for our workforce to be truly representative. For all sections of society and our customer. And for each employee to feel respected and able to give their best
Havebury will promote equal opportunities among tenants, employees of Havebury and the wider community.
How do we ensure that Equality and Diversity is an integral element of everything that we do?
- Havebury has an Equality and Diversity Policy
- Embracing best practice to tackle different incidents, including;
- domestic violence
- anti-social behaviour.
- Ensuring that there is fair access to information and services. Our Offices meet the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 to allow physical access. We will ensure that vulnerable and marginalised groups have a full range of information. Considering the needs of speakers of other languages. Different literacy levels and degrees of sensory deprivation.
- As a provider of affordable housing, we aim to reduce the disadvantages experienced by some local residents. By tailoring to the need of the communities we serve.
- We commit to promoting the equality of opportunity to all sectors. Within our community and beyond. Ensuring that all individuals have equal access to all the services we provide.
- The practices and procedures of the organisation will be monitored and reviewed. To ensure that they do not discriminate
- Havebury has an Equality and Diversity Action Plan. This plan sets out how Havebury is working to improve and promote equality.
- Havebury will track performance with the Action Plan each quarter. This will be done through the Equality & Diversity Forum Group. This is a working document, thus, it is likely to change over time. Meaning, as we reflect the latest views on how we can further improve access to our services.
- Havebury carries out Equality Impact Assessments (EIAs). This is to check the impact of our work on tenants, stakeholders and members of staff. All relevant policies and procedures are assessed on a 3-yearly cycle or as necessary.
Who is responsible?
Havebury has effective leadership and governance arrangements in place to monitor equality and diversity.
- The Equality Policy is fully supported by the Board of Directors. The Board is ultimately responsible for it and will provide leadership to ensure that the policy is successful. Board Members are trained so they can support equality and diversity.
- The day to day responsibility lies with the Chief Executive and Management Team. The Director of Operations will be the nominated and controlling authority.
- Diversity champions are in place at various levels within the business
- All staff undergo Equality & Diversity training.
- The Equality and Diversity Forum Group will help Havebury prioritise its Equality and Diversity Action Plan.
Havebury is members of Inclusive Employers.
Established in May 2011, Inclusive Employers are the UK’s first and leading membership organisation for employers looking to build inclusive workplaces.
Inclusive Employers are responsible for providing creative, engaging initiatives to build inclusive cultures. Plus to support us in developing ways to increase inclusion within the workplace and share best practice.
For further details regarding Inclusive Employers, please click here.