Discretionary Housing Payment

Discretionary Housing Payment

You may be entitled to a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) if you need help with your housing costs or have fallen behind with your rent.

Who can claim ?

Anyone who needs more help with housing costs and is currently claiming:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Universal Credit with housing costs towards rental liability

Government funding for Discretionary Housing Payments has been given to local councils to help those affected by welfare reforms including:

  • The benefit cap
  • Removal of the spare room subsidy, also known as the bedroom tax

Depending on their circumstances, some people may qualify for longer term support.

How a payment can be used

A DHP can cover housing costs, such as:

  • A rent shortfall
  • Rent deposits or rent in advance if you need to move home
  • Paying off rent arrears

How to claim

It depends on your council, but you may be able to apply for a DHP online. Alternatively, call them for advice.

Find your local council


Share with others