Changes for older people

Changes for older people

The benefits system for couples where one partner is of state pension age.

In most cases, these couples cannot make a new claim for housing benefit or pension credit. Instead, they will need to claim universal credit if they require help with their housing costs.

Those with existing claims will continue to be protected if there is no break in their claims. In addition, some exemptions do apply; for example, if you are on pension credit and you move local authority.

A couple’s housing benefit may also be terminated once the older partner reaches state retirement age.

What should I do?

Each case is unique, and our benefits advisors can advise you on your own personal circumstances. Call 0300 3300 900, selecting options 3, 4 and 1 or dial extension number 7305 when prompted to speak to one of our team. Or you can email


Share with others