Facebook      Twitter      Text to Speech      myHavebury

Get in touch 0300 3300 900

What to do if you are behind with your rent

What to do if you are behind with your rent

Havebury has a firm but fair approach to tenants who experience difficulty paying their rent.

It is vitally important that Havebury Housing Partnership collects its rent as this is its main source of income. All of the homes and services that we provide are paid for by rent that is paid by you, the Tenant. It is important that you pay in advance as requested and this is the reason why we are always quick to remind you when rent is owed.

We realise that it is sometimes difficult for you to pay rent and would encourage you to contact us if you are having problems so that we can assist you from becoming further into debt. Some debts are called priority debts because the consequences of not paying are serious. Priority debts should be dealt with before your non-priority debts.

Rent Collection & Arrears Recovery Policy
What to do if you are in arrears

Civil Legal Advice

Help for people at risk of losing their home

Providing specialist advice on debt, education, discrimination, housing and family problems in England and Wales

Legal aid is available for people who are in debt and at risk of losing their home.

This support is available to help pay for legal advice or representation in a court or tribunal. If you apply you will need to show you cannot afford to pay this yourself.

To find out if you might be able to get legal aid visit: www.gov.uk/check-legal-aid

If you can’t always access the internet you can also call: 0345 345 4345 (minicom 0845 6096677)

Monday to Friday: 9am–8pm and Saturday: 9am–12.30pm. Calls will cost approximately 9p per minute from a landline. Calls from mobiles may cost more. If you are worried about the cost ask us to call you back or text ‘legalaid’ and your name to 80010 and they will call back within 24 hours.

Download the PDF form

How does it work?

Whether you use the online checker, or call the helpline first, you will be asked questions about your problem and your financial circumstances.

This will include details of your, and if necessary, your partner’s benefits, income, savings, spending and National Insurance number. So try to have this information to hand.

When you contact Civil Legal Advice the first person you will speak to will be an operator. If it looks like you qualify you will be transferred to a specialist adviser. They will need to ask you some more questions to confirm whether they can help. You will need to provide evidence of what you have told the adviser at a later date.

If Civil Legal Advice can’t help, we will always suggest other places to go for information or advice. This may include advice services in your region.

How will you get advice?

If you qualify for the Civil Legal Advice service for your problem you will usually get help from an adviser by phone, post or online.

Let the adviser know if there is anything we can do to make it easier for you to communicate with us. This might be someone speaking on your behalf or using an interpreter, or a British Sign Language interpreter.

In some cases your Civil Legal Advice adviser may decide that you need to speak to someone in person or you might need someone to represent you in court. They will organise this for you.

Share with others

We understand booking a test may be difficult at the moment, but if you have Covid-19 symptoms, you must try & book a test - be patient, opportunities are added during the day.

Only people with appointments will be seen at testing centres across Suffolk.