Facebook      Twitter      Text to Speech      myHavebury

Get in touch 0300 3300 900

Benefit Cap

Benefit Cap

The Benefit Cap applies to working age claimants. Within the Housing benefit and Universal Credit rules.

The benefit cap outside Greater London is;

  • £384.62 a week or £1666,69 per month for couples, families and lone parent claimants or
  • £257.69 a week or £1116.66 per month for single adults without children

Exemptions from the cap

There are certain claimants that are exempt from the cap:

  • Claimant and or partner entitled to Working Tax Credit or Universal credit. And you and or your partner earns more than £569 net a month combined
  • Claimants get Universal Credit because of a disability or health condition. These conditions stop you form working
  • Claimants who get Universal Credit because you care for someone with a disability

You are also not affected by the cap if you, yourself. Or your partner or any children under 18 receive any of the following benefits:

  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (if you get the support component)
  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Benefits (and equivalent payments. As part of a War Disablement Pension. Or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • War pensions
  • War Widow’s or War Widower’s Pension

What benefits are included in the cap?

The amount your household gets from some benefits might go down to make sure you do not get more than the cap limit. The benefit cap affects:

  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Widowed Parent’s Allowance (or Widowed Mother’s Allowance. Or Widow’s Pension if you started getting it before 9 April 2001)
  • Universal Credit

Help with the CAP

Are you struggling to afford to pay your bills on the money that you receive?

Contact your local authority and ask them to consider a discretionary housing payment. This is for a short period of time and you can find out more here.

There are longer term solutions to ensure that claimants are exempt from the benefit cap. For example; find work that means you qualify for working tax credit. As a result If you still qualify for tax credits or earn a minimum of £569 per month on Universal Credit.

Do you have a child who has a disability? Make sure you are claiming everything under their entitlement. This may also help with the cap.

Share with others

At Havebury, we remain committed to investing in our existing housing portfolio, in line with stock condition survey reports. Find how how we did in 2019/2020 by reading our annual report http://ow.ly/XJdD50BPMs5 #annualreport #housing #havebury #investement