- Do you need help with your housing costs?
- Have you fallen behind with your rent?
You may have entitlement to a Discretionary Housing Payment from your local authority.
Who can claim a DHP?
Anyone who needs more help with housing costs and is currently claiming:
- Housing Benefit
- Universal Credit with housing costs towards rental liability
The government has given councils funding to give DHPs. These DHP’s are to assist those affected by welfare reforms including:
- The benefit cap
- Removal of the spare room subsidy in the social rented sector (bedroom tax)
Some people may qualify for longer term support.
How a payment can be used
A DHP can cover housing costs, such as:
- A rent shortfall, for example, as a result of welfare reforms
- Rent deposits or rent in advance if you need to move home
- Pay off rent arrears – this will depend on your local authority
How to claim
This will depend on your council.
Check with your council if you can apply online. By downloading an application form from their website, or by phoning them.
You can find their contact details on letters from them.Find your local council
To receive benefit advice from Havebury and understand the correct benefit for you please call 0300 3300 900 options 2,2,3