Home contents insurance

Home contents insurance

Insuring your home contents gives you peace of mind, should the worst happen.

Why do I need it?

We do not cover your contents as part of your tenancy or tenancy agreement.

It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen, so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

My Home Contents Insurance Scheme

We have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, who provide specialist resident contents insurance policies. My Home Contents Insurance is a specialist insurance scheme, and residents living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

My Home Contents Insurance scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home, including furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures, and ornaments.

Reasons to choose My Home Contents Insurance Scheme

  • You can apply over the telephone or complete an application form.
  • No excess – so you do not pay the first part of the claim.
  • Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks.
  • Covers tenants’ improvements (up to £2000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest).
  • Covers theft or attempted theft of contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £3,000).
  • Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible.
  • Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors, windows, and alarms if keys are lost or stolen (up to £500).
  • You don’t need special door or window locks, just a lockable front door.
  • Flexible, regular pay‐as‐you‐go payment options (fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge).

Who is this policy for?

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance. Thistle has approached a single insurer Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the Policy Wording, which you should read carefully. The premiums and payment methods available are shown on the rate card. Please note fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction change.

If you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you, please contact Thistle Tenant Risks, who will be happy to help with your queries.

How do I get further information?

If you’d like to apply for home contents insurance, you can complete an application form or call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288. Alternatively, visit https://www.thistlemyhome.co.uk/ for more information. Before you complete an application form, please review the Thistle Insurance Services Terms of Business Agreement and Insurance Product Information Document.

These documents give you important information on your rights, how we deal with you and your insurance, and key information regarding insurance cover. Please note that all Tenant Risks business is arranged on a non‐advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

What to do if you have a complaint

It is always the intention to give You the best possible service, but if you do have any questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim, you should follow the procedure.

A copy of Thistle Insurance Services’ complaints procedure is available on request. For additional information, view their complaints page.

The National Housing Federation working in partnership with Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Firm Reference Number 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

View their data protection privacy policy.

It is important to protect your belongings and we suggest that you look for providers who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Thistle Insurance Services are a company that specialises in social housing contents insurance, however there are also other providers that can be found on comparison websites like Money Supermarket or Compare the Market

Want to request a call back from Thistle Tenant Risks?

Simply fill in the form below:

The information you provide on this form will be used for Havebury to make a referral for a callback to discuss the scheme. By submitting your information on this form, you are giving us permission to pass it on to Thistle Tenant Risks.

Share with others