2022/23 service charge statements

2022/23 service charge statements

Your questions answered

If you pay a service charge, your most recent statement will have landed on your doorstep this week.

This statement relates to service charges applied during 2022-23.

The statement shows the difference between what we estimated the cost would be, and what the actual costs were for 2022/23.

This may result in either a:

  • Surplus – a refund is due to you.
  • Deficit – there is a shortfall in what you have paid, and an extra payment is required.

If you are a homeowner/leaseholder 

  • If there is a surplus, nothing else is owed, and your account will be in credit.
  • If there is a deficit, any underpayment should be paid by 31 October 2023. Please note, that payment terms and instalments can be negotiated. Please contact our Income team for more information. They can be reached by calling 0300 3300 900, selecting options 3 and 2 or extension 7843 or by emailing myaccount@havebury.com 

If you are a shared owner 

  • If there is a surplus, nothing else is owed, and your account will be in credit.
  • If there is a deficit that is unaffordable and you are in receipt of housing benefit or universal credit, the money owed can be added to your 2024-25 rent. This means the costs will be spread over the 53-week rent year, making the payments more manageable. Please contact our Income team for more information. They can be reached by calling 0300 3300 900, selecting options 3 and 2 or extension 7843 or by emailing myaccount@havebury.com

If you are a resident

The surplus or deficit will be added to the 2024/25 service charge estimate, and adjust your weekly rent and service charge from April 2024 to take account of any surplus/deficit. Any housing benefit/universal credit applicable benefits will be adjusted in April 2024 when any surplus/deficit is added to the 2024/25 estimate.

This means you don’t need to do anything now, and you won’t be receiving a refund. 

We know increases of any kind can be worrying, and our teams are available to offer advice and support if needed. Below, you’ll find some answers to your frequently asked questions. If there is anything we haven’t covered, please contact us.

We’ll also find further information in the service charge booklet that accompanies your statement. You can view it by clicking the image below.

  • I am dissatisfied with one of the services I receive.

    If you have a complaint about an element of service that you receive from us, for example, grounds maintenance or cleaning, you need to report this to our Neighbourhood and Estates team. You can:

    • Log your issue on myHavebury. If you are not sure whether a piece of land belongs to us, or the Council, you can check this via the ‘grounds maintenance’ tile on the app.
    • Call our team on 0300 300 900 (options 3 and 1)
    • Email the team at myarea@havebury.com

    If you have an outstanding repair, you can:

    • Log the repair on myHavebury and book an appointment for a member of our team to come and fix the issue. Once made, you can also change the appointment date and time if you need to.
    • Call our team on 0300 300 900 (option 2)
    • Email the team at repairs@havebury.com 
  • I cannot afford to pay the deficit amount due.

    If you think you’ll struggle to pay these charges, please get in touch with us. We have dedicated Income and Welfare & Benefits teams who can help you review your income and expenditure and offer advice to help you maximise your income. We also have a support fund, available to residents and shared owners, which we may be able to use to offer temporary relief from hardship. Please note that there is a criteria that needs to be met for access to this fund, and every case will be looked at on an individual basis. We’ll also signpost you to other organisations that may be able to help you.

    You can contact the team by emailing myadvice@havebury.com or calling them on 0300 3300 900 (options 3,4 and 1 or extension 7305) 

  • I would like to claim a refund.

    If you are a leaseholder or shared owner in surplus, you can request a refund. To do this, please contact our Income team. They can be reached by calling 0300 3300 900 (options 3 and 2 or extension 7843) or by emailing myaccount@havebury.com

  • I am a new resident, what am I expected to pay?

    As a new resident, you will only have paid the service charges from the date your tenancy began, and your statement has been adjusted to reflect this. The amount on page one of the statement shows the actual amount you will have been charged/is due for the period of your tenancy that year. The second page shows the full annual cost relating to your home.

  • Why are you only telling me about these increases now?

    You’re on a variable service charge, which means we:

    • March – estimate your service charges for the year.
    • March – September – gather all the actual service charges together and work out the final cost for the year. We then send you a statement detailing these costs at the end of September.
  • Why are the estimates so different to the actuals?

    When we estimate the costs, we use information available to us at the time. For example, we set the charges for 2022-23 in 2021, when energy prices were much lower. The war in Ukraine increased the cost of gas and electricity, which caused everyone’s energy bills to rise. Unfortunately, this was not the case when we set your estimates in 2021. It’s also hard to anticipate additional ad hoc work, such as repairs.

  • What is a deficit and surplus?

    Surplus – If we spend less than the estimate you’ve already paid.

    Deficit – If we spend more than the estimate you’ve already paid.

  • I'm on benefits, what does that mean for me?

    Eligible service charges can be covered by housing benefit (HB) or universal credit (UC).

    If there has been any change to an eligible charge, and your housing benefit is paid directly to us, you do not need to do anything, and we will notify the local authority on your behalf.

    If you are on universal credit or have housing benefit paid to you, you’ll need to notify them of this change. You’ll need to do this in April 2024, when these charges take effect.

    Ineligible service charges can’t be covered by HB or UC. If there is a change to this charge, you’ll need to pay for this yourself. If you think you’ll struggle with this, please get in touch with our Welfare and Benefits team who can offer you additional advice and support.

  • How do I make arrangements to pay?

    You can contact our Income team to discuss an affordable arrangement for you. They can do this once you’ve received your statement at the end of September. You can reach them by calling 0300 3300 900 (options 3 and 2 or extension 7843) or by emailing myaccount@havebury.com


Share with others