Equality and Diversity at Havebury Housing Partnership
What is Equality & Diversity?
Equality is about ensuring that every individual has an equal opportunity to make the most of their lives and talents, and believing that no one should have poorer life chances because of where what or whom they were born, or because of other characteristics.
Diversity is psychological, physical, and social differences that occur among any and all individuals; including but not limited to race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, age, gender, sexual orientation, mental or physical ability, and learning styles. A diverse group, community, or organisation is one in which a variety of social and cultural characteristics exist.
Why is it important?
It is important to Havebury because…
- Havebury is required to comply with all of the legal and regulatory requirements placed on us by the Equality Act 2010, the Human Rights Act 1998, the Regulatory Framework for Social Housing in England and the Care Quality Commission regulations.
- We aim to improve equality and inclusion outcomes for our residents, customers and partners.
- We promote equality, community cohesion and social, digital and financial inclusion.
- We aspire for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and our customers, and for each employee to feel respected and able to give their best
- Havebury will promote equal opportunities among tenants, employees of Havebury and the wider community.
How do we ensure that Equality and Diversity is an integral element of everything that we do?
- Havebury has an Equality and Diversity Policy which covers all aspects of Havebury’s work.
- Havebury embraces best practice to tackle different incidents, including all kinds of harassment, domestic violence, bullying and anti-social behaviour.
- Havebury will ensure that there is fair access to information and services. Our Offices meet the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 to allow physical access to everyone. We will ensure that vulnerable and marginalised groups have a full range of information that considers the needs of speakers of other languages, different literacy levels and degrees of sensory deprivation.
- As a provider of affordable housing, we aim to reduce the disadvantages experienced by some local residents, ensuring that the services we provide are tailored to the needs of the communities and individuals we serve.
- Havebury is committed to promoting the equality of opportunity to all sectors within our community and ensuring that all individuals have equal access to all of the services we provide.
- The practices and procedures of the organisation will be regularly monitored and reviewed to ensure that they do not discriminate directly or indirectly.
- Havebury has an Equality and Diversity Action Plan which sets out how Havebury is working to improve and promote equality in relation to all of the protected characteristics.
- Havebury will monitor performance with the Action Plan each quarter through the Equality & Diversity Forum Group. This is a working document, therefore, it is likely to change over time as we reflect the latest views as to how we can further improve access to our services.
- Havebury carries out Equality Impact Assessments (EIAs) to evaluate the impact of our work on tenants, stakeholders and members of staff. All relevant policies and procedures are assessed on a 3-yearly cycle or as necessary.
Who is responsible?
Havebury has effective leadership and governance arrangements in place to monitor equality and diversity.
- The Equality Policy is fully supported by the Board of Directors. The Board is ultimately responsible for it and will provide leadership to ensure that the policy is successful. Board Members are trained so they can support equality and diversity.
- The day to day responsibility lies with the Chief Executive and Management Team. The Director of Operations will be the nominated and controlling authority.
- Diversity champions are in place at various levels within the business
- All staff undergo Equality & Diversity training.
- The Equality and Diversity Forum Group will help Havebury prioritise its Equality and Diversity Action Plan.
Havebury is members of Inclusive Employers. Established in May 2011, Inclusive Employers are the UK’s first and leading membership organisation for employers looking to build inclusive workplaces. Inclusive Employers are responsible for providing creative, engaging initiatives to build inclusive cultures, support us in developing ways to increase inclusion within the workplace and share best practice. For further details regarding Inclusive Employers, please click here.