Finding a Home in Bury St Edmunds or Haverhill
Two of the most effective tools for finding a new home for you and your family in the Cambridge area are to either use the region's unique Home-Link service or to undertake a Mutual exchange or swap with another Tenant.
Home-Link is a choice based Lettings scheme covering the Cambridge area. Home-link allows you to choose where you would like to live from all the available housing association properties that are currently available. This online scheme covers the whole of the Cambridge area (sub-region):
- Cambridge City Council
- South Cambridgeshire District Council
- Huntingdonshire District Council
- Fenland District Council
- East Cambridgeshire District Council
- Forest Heath District Council
- St. Edmundsbury Borough Council
Visit the Home-Link website: www.home-link.org.uk to apply and for more information.
If you are an existing council or housing association tenant, you may be interested in the Home-Link Mutual Exchange scheme.
Mutual Exchange of Accommodation
An exchange is a straight swap between tenants. Here is a quick guide to the procedures you must follow for a successful exchange along with your rights as a tenant.
Before you start
You will need Havebury's permission before you can exchange. Permission is only refused for a limited number of reasons such as legal action being taken for arrears, or if the accommodation is not suitable for the people who wish to exchange. Applications which would result in one or more of the parties under occupying their home following the exchange will generally be refused by Havebury. Please contact the Neighbourhood Advisor team for further advice.
If the tenant with whom you are swapping is not a Havebury tenant, then their landlord must also agree to the exchange taking place. You can only swap with the tenant of a local authority or another registered social landlord. If you wish to swap with someone other than a Havebury tenant, you will need to check whether you will lose any rights, such as the preserved Right to Buy.
• Decide where you want to move to and what sort of home you would like
• Find someone with whom to exchange
• Ask at the office for a Mutual Exchange Transfer form and complete this with all the relevant information. A form will also be sent to the person with whom you exchange. Alternatively, you can download and
complete the form here.