Do you live with a non-dependent, such as a grown-up child or an elderly relative? Make sure you're claiming all the benefits to which you're entitled.

A non-dependant is a person who lives with you but is not liable for paying rent under a formal arrangement.

If you live with a non-dependant your housing benefit, Universal Credit housing element and Council Tax reduction may be reduced through rules on non-dependant deductions. In Universal Credit these are called housing cost contributions.

Who counts as a non-dependant?

A non-dependant is a person who:

  • resides with you; and
  • is over 18; and
  • is not your partner or dependent child; and
  • is not liable for paying the rent (or council tax for Council Tax support/reduction)

Universal Credit

Under Universal Credit rules there is a flat rate contribution (deduction) each month regardless of the non-dependant’s income, for 2022/23 this is £77.87 a month.

Housing benefit

When calculating housing benefit, the rate of non-dependant deduction depends on whether the non-dependant is a student or claims benefits (and which one), or works more than 16 hours a week and, if so, their gross income.

You can find out more about what this may mean for you and further information about exemptions here.

Share with others