Installing a cooker - blog post
Posted on: January 30th 2024   •    Posted in: Tenants

Appliances in your home

If you are looking to purchase a new cooker, we have some guidance for you to follow to make sure that there are no problems on installation day.

  • The hot zone – the space around your hob is called the ‘hot zone’, and you need to make sure it has no switches or a cooker hood above it. There also needs to be a gap of at least 65cm between your hob and the cooker hood or ceiling above. If it isn’t clear of hazards, your new cooker may not be able to be installed.
  • Electrical connection – Make sure your current electrical connection (which is either a plug socket or a red switch) matches what your new cooker needs. If your new cooker is over 3kw, then you’ll need a 16Amp or 32Amp fuse – a red switch. If your new cooker is below 3kw, then you’ll only need a standard 12Amp fuse – a regular plug socket.
  • Gas Safe engineer – If you are switching from a gas cooker to a new electric cooker, you will need a qualified Gas Safe engineer to fit this. You can find one local to you here.
  • Check your measurements – Before you buy a new appliance, it’s worth checking the dimensions, just to make sure you’ve got enough space in your kitchen.

Share with others