tax credits to universal credit - blog post
Posted on: July 4th 2023   •    Posted in: Tenants

Moving from tax credits to universal credit

If you receive tax credits, income support, housing benefit only or job seekers allowance, you may receive a letter from the DWP/HMRC referred to a ‘Managed Migration’.

This letter will explain that you will need to move from your current benefits to Universal Credit (UC) within three months. When you claim, you will get ‘Transitional Protection’ to top-up your UC payments if you are going to be worse off when you move over. The date you claim can affect how much you get in your first payment.

If you need help understanding why, how and when you need to move over to UC, our Financial Inclusion team is on hand to help. If you want to discuss your options, please call the team on 0300 3300 900 extension 7305 or email

DWP – Department of Work and Pensions
HMRC – HM Revenue & Customs
ESA – Employment and Support Allowance
JSA – Jobseeker’s Allowance

Share with others